Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ministry in Powerlessness

     "There is one more thing I want you to do," said Ann, when the
people had left the church, "There is a lady here who lost her only 
son of sixteen years last month.  His name was Walter,  She wants 
you to go to the cemetery with her, pray with her, and bless the 
grave."  I found the woman sitting on a bench in the village square.  
As I touched her, she started to cry bitterly. It was a sad story.  Last 
month, Walter went to Cochabamba with a truck loaded with pro-
duce and people.  As usual, the younger boys were standing on the 
running board of the truck holding onto the door.  At one point, 
Walter lost his balance and fell from the truck without the driver 
noticing.  He fell beneath the wheels and was crushed by the back 
tires of the truck.  They took him in the truck in the hope of reach-
ing Cochabamba in time, but he died on the way.

     Ann and I drove with Walter's mother in the jeep to the small 
cemetery behind the hospital.  There we found the little niche 
where Walter's body was laid.  We prayed and I sprinkled the place 
with holy water and we cried.  "He was my only son, and he was 
such a good boy," his mother said with tears in her eyes.  Ann told 
me how helpful Walter had been in the parish and how everyone 
was shocked by his death.

     I couldn't keep my eyes from the woman's face, a gentle and 
deep face that had known much suffering.  She had given birth to 
eight children: seven girls and Walter.  When I stood in front of the 
grave I had a feeling of powerlessness and a strong desire to call 
Walter back to life.  "Why can't I give Walter back to his mother?"  
I asked myself.  But then I realized that my ministry lay more in 
powerlessness than in power;  I could give her only my tears.

           Henri J. Nouwen, Gracias: A Latin American Journal

      Who is Henry Nouwen?  Nouwen, January 24, 1932 to September 
21, 1996 was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and write who authored 
40 books on the spiritual life.  Nouwen's books are widely read by 
both Protestants and Catholics.

To visit the Lenten Meditations site, click here.
To visit The Practical Disciple, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment