Monday, March 23, 2009

Deep prayer in a busy life

     This morning I put this question to John Eudes: "How can I really 
develop a deeper prayer life when I am back again at my busy work?  
I have the tendency to finish small and large jobs as soon as possible, 
and as long as I remain surrounded by unfinished tasks, my prayer is
nearly impossible since I use the time for prayer to wonder about the 
many things I still have to do.  It always seems that there is something 
more urgent and more important than prayer."

     John Eudes' answer was clear and simple:  "The only solution is a 
prayer schedule that you will never break without consulting your 
spiritual director.  Set a time that is reasonable, and once it is set, stick 
to it at all costs.  Make it your most important task.  Let everyone know 
that this is the only thing you will not change and pray at that time.  One 
hour in the morning before work and a half hour before you go to bed 
might be a good start.  Set the exact time and hold on to it.  Leave a 
party when that time approaches.  Simply make it an impossibility to 
do any type of work, even if it seems urgent, important, and crucial.  
When you remain faithful, you slowly discover that is is useless to 
think about your many problems since they won't be dealt with in that 
time anyhow.  Then you start saying to yourself during these free 
hours, 'Since I have nothing to do now, I might just as well pray!"  So 
praying becomes as important as eating and sleeping, and the time set 
free for it becomes a very liberating time to which you become 
attached in the good sense."

                                                       Henri J.  Nouwen, The Genesee Diary

Who is Henry Nouwen?  Nouwen, January 24, 1932 to September 
21, 1996 was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 
40 books on the spiritual life.  Nouwen's books are widely read by 
both Protestants and Catholics.

To visit the Lenten Meditations site, click here.
To visit The Practical Disciple, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment