Monday, March 9, 2009

God often Goes Further than we Desire

     When I was a child I often had a toothache, and I knew 
that if I went to my mother she would give me something 
which would deaden the pain for that night and let me get 
to sleep.  But I did not go to my mother--at least, not till 
the pain became very bad.  And the reason I did not go was 
this.  I did not doubt she would give me the aspirin; but I 
knew that she would also do something else. I knew she 
would take me to the dentist the next morning.  I could 
not get what I wanted out of her without getting some-
thing more, which I did not want.  I wanted immediate 
relief from pain: but I could not get it without having my 
teeth set permanently right.  And I knew those dentists; 
I knew they started fiddling about with all sorts of other 
teeth which had not yet begun to ache.  They would not 
let sleeping dogs lie; if you gave them an inch, they took 
an ell (PD note--for those of you like me who have no idea
what an ell is, it's an old English unit of measure equal to
about 45").

     Now, if I may put it that way, Our Lord is like the dentist.  
if you give Him an inch, He will take an ell.  Dozens of people 
go to Him to be cured of some particular sin which they are 
ashamed of  (like lust or physical cowardice) or which is 
obviously spoiling daily life (like bad temper or drunken-
ness).  Well, He will cure it all right: but He will not stop 
there.  That may be all you asked; but if you once call Him 
in, He will give you the full treatment.

     That is why He warned people to "count the cost" before 
becoming Christians.  "Make no mistake," He says, "if you 
let Me, I will make you perfect.  The moment you put your-
self in My hands, that is what you are in in for.  Nothing less, 
or other than that.  You have free will, and if you choose, 
you can push Me away.  But if you do not push Me away, 
understand that I am going to see this job through."

                                                        C.S. Lewis, Joyful Christian

Who is C.S. Lewis?  Clive Staples Lewis, November 29, 1898 
to November 22, 1963, was an academic, medievalist, literary 
critic, essayist, lay theologian and Christian apologist.  He is 
also known for his fiction, especially The Screwtape Letters, 
The Chronicals of Narnia, and The Space Trilogy.  Mere 
Christianity is perhaps his most popular and influential 
work.

To visit the Lenten Meditations site, click here.
To visit The Practical Disciple, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment