Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fasting from Criticalness

The Lord continues to deal with me about m critical spirit, convicting 
me that I have been wrong to judge any person or situation:

Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge 
others, you will be judeged, and with the measure you use, it will be 
measured to you.  (Matt 7:1-2; NIV)

One morning last week He gave me an assignment: for one day I was 
to go on a "fast" from criticism.  I was not to criticize anybody about 
anything.

Into my mind crowded all the usual objections.  "But then what happens 
to value judgments?  You Yourself, Lord, spoke of 'righteous judgement.'  
How could society operate without standards and limits?"

All such resistance was brushed aside.  "Just obey Me without question-
ing:  an absolute fast on any critical statements for this day."

As I pondered this assignment, I realized there was an even humorous 
side to this kind of fast.  What did the Lord want to show me?

The experiment
For the first half of the day, I simply felt a void, almost as if I had been 
wiped out as a person.  This was especially true at lunch with my 
husand, Len, my mother, son Jeff, and my secretary Jeannie Sevigny
present.  Several topics came up (school prayer, abortion, the ERA 
amendment) about which I had definite opinions.  I listened to the 
others and kept silent.  Barbed comments on the tip of my tongue 
about certain world leaders were suppressed.  In our talkative family 
no one seemed to notice.

Bemused, I noticed that my comments were not missed.  The federal 
government, the judicial system, and the institutional church could 
apparently  get along fine without my penetrating observations.  But still 
I didn't see what this fast on criticism was accomplishing--until 
mid-afternoon.

For several years, I had been praying for on talented young man whose 
life had gotten sidetracked.  Perhaps my prayers for him had been too 
negative.  That afternoon, a specific, positive vision for my life was 
dropped into my mind with God's unmistakable hallmark on it--joy.

Ideas began to flow in a way I had not experienced in years.  Now it was 
apparent what the Lord wanted me to see.  My critical nature had not 
corrected a single one of the multitudinous things I found fault with.  
What it had done was to stifle my own creativity--in prayer, in 
relationship, perhaps even in writing--ideas that He wanted to give me.

Last Sunday night in a Bible study group, I told of my Day's Fast 
experiment.  The response was startling.  Many admitted that 
criticalness was the chief problem in their offices, or in their marriages, 
or with their teenage children.

                                                                Catherine Marshall, A Closer Walk

Who is Catherine Marshall?  Catherine Marshall was the wife of famed, 
Presbyterian minister and preacher, Peter Marshall.  She came into the 
public after his death when she published a memoir about him, 
A Man Called Peter.  Catherine went onto write a large number of 
books and eventually became a publisher.  She lived from 1914 to 1983.

To visit the Lenten Meditations site, click here.
To visit The Practical Disciple, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I have been struggling with a critical attitude towards some specific organizations. I am hopeful.
    I'm praying for God to remove This critical spirit. I'm being graceful towards myself in that I am at least RECOGNIZING the critical attitude and trying to confront it.
    This creates turmoil, but I believe God is honored by the effort to change my heart. I believe He will help to heal the brokenness that is bent towards this sinful attempt to sooth.

    ReplyDelete